Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Today in New York

I saw several surprising things today, and did several surprising things myself.

I went down to lower Manhattan to meet up with some friends for a little shoe shopping and lunch. The first surprising thing I did was: not be late! I've been meeting my friend T at this shoe shop on this day for the past 4 years, and I've been late every year except for this one. We meet there 1-2 other times a year as well, and I'm always late then, too. So really, it was a banner day for me! And in fact, I was early. I got there, didn't see T, and was confused. Checked the time and...21 minutes early?? So I went to a nearby cafe and had a coffee while I waited, as it was too cold to wait outside. Actually I had half a coffee. It was huge, and I hadn't had so much caffeine in months!

While I was waiting I saw my first surprising thing: a man in a button-down shirt and sports coat, skateboarding down the street, drinking an ice coffee and being pulled by his dog.

The other surprising thing I saw was a guy using a pay phone. Using a pay phone. I didn't even know those still worked! I didn't actually see that til much later in the day, but wanted to get it out of the way, because it's not nearly so surprising as the next bit.

I did not buy any shoes.

Not even one pair. And there was a sale! T bought shoes, and M bought shoes, but me? NO SHOES.

I think I might deserve shoes as a reward.


1 comment:

CoffeeInspired said...

I'm not surprised you didn't buy shoes. You had a plan and stuck to it :)