Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Mensch named Mindel

Zion has recently developed quite an interest in Hebrew names- who has them, who doesn't, and what they are. He asks about them quite often. About a week ago he asking about the Hebrew names of those friends of ours that he knows. Since most of them aren't Jewish, it wasn't turning out to be very exciting. Finally he asked what Uncle Vogelman!'s Hebrew name was. Now Vogelman! is one of Robert's best friends (he was best man at our wedding and sandek at Zion's bris) and Jewish, but I had no idea what his Hebrew name was. So I called him. And got his voicemail. I left a message explaining that Zion was wondering what his Hebrew name was and I didn't know, so pls call back, kthanx!

And I didn't hear from him. Then two days ago Robert told me that Vogelman! had called back the night I'd left the message while I was down with Liel, and reported that they had the following conversation.

V!: I hear Zion wants to know about my Hebrew name. Jovi called.
R: Yeah, we don't know what it is.
V!: It's Mindel.
R: Did you get that when you were in Israel or did your mom give it to you?
V!: My mom gave it to me. It was my grandmother's name.
R: Hmmm. I see...
V!: (shouting) My name is Sue! How do you do? Now you gonna die!!

No comments: