Monday, July 30, 2012

More vintage cocktails!

I just inherited a small blue book (about 3"x5"). Its titled Professional Mixing Guide and it was published by the Angostura Bitters company in 1947. My copy belonged to my grandmother, and includes a few recipes that she wrote onto the back cover of the book. About half the recipes call for bitters (shocking!), and we didn't have any, so I bought a bottle of them, and tonight we're going to try our first bitters drink.

Unfortunately this book demonstrates how very sparse our liquor cabinet is! I figure we need brandy, vermouth and some type of scotch or whiskey at a minimum to round things out.

I'll be posting when I try a recipe from this book and giving my oh-so-exciting opinion of the drinks. The world needs more vintage cocktails, right?

No comments: