Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Vintage Cocktails: Sidecar

I had a rather exciting day yesterday, and um, forgot to blog. So let's just pretend it's still Monday, OK?

At any rate, we're on a brandy roll! The Sidecar was actually the cocktail that got me into this whole vintage drink schtick, which is funny because I'd never had one until a few days ago. But my dear chef friend, Rachel, mentioned them a while back and my ears pricked up. They sounded so classic and sophisticated. Cocktails. Sidecar. I was hooked without even taking a sip.

I know that some Sidecar recipes call for cognac. My Little Blue Book does not. So this Sidecar is made with brandy.

1/3 brandy
1/3 Cointreau
1/3 lemon juice

Shake over ice, strain and serve.

Verdict: delicious. I was right to fall in love with this drink! Definitely worth a spot in your regular rotation. Not too sweet, not too boozy- just right. I had thought of this drink as an autumn or winter cocktail (in the days of our imaginary courtship), but now I'm not so sure. This drink is wonderful in the summer, and I could see drinking it into the fall, but maybe not winter. Brandy is a more versatile spirit than I'd realized! I probably need to consider hot toddies for the winter editions.

And now I present you with: a knitted fish! Riding a motorcycle! With a Sidecar as her sidecar!

Pretty awesome, right?



No comments: