Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Summer cocktail list

As I said in my last post, I'm feeling inspired to try some old school, WWI-WWII era cocktails. The fact that it has been in the 90s in New York this week has certainly contributed to this desire! Obviously any warm cocktails are right out, though I'm sure I'll be eager to test them out come winter.

So here is my current list of drinks I want to mix in the coming month (happily, many of them feature gin):

1. French 75. This is apparently the only Prohibition era cocktail invented in the US to have hit the big time, whatever that means in booze-land. It's gin, lemon juice and simple syrup topped off with champagne. Squee!

2. Sidecar. Cognac, orange liqueur, and lemon juice served in a sugar-rimmed glass.

3. Colony Cocktail. Gin, grapefruit juice, and maraschino. The recipe I'm looking at calls for two teaspoons of maraschino- does that mean the liquid from the cherries? Hmmm.

4. Mary Pickford. Rum, pineapple juice and grenadine with a maraschino cherry.

That ought to keep me busy for a few weeks. Shopping list: grenadine, grapefruit juice, pineapple juice, lemons, champagne, cognac, and rum. We're having friends over on Monday night; I think I might plan the meal around one of these drinks! Either the Colony Cocktail or the French 75, I think. Now I need some 1920's era food ideas... ceasar salad, ambrosia, chicken ala king...but that last isn't really appropriate for the weather we're having. Maybe we'll just grill some meat to go along and call it a day!

No comments: