Thursday, June 14, 2012

Prohibition-era cocktails, Part 2

In keeping with my summer research I've continued to pursue prohibition-era cocktails. I'd been wanting to try the Colony Cocktail, a gin drink allegedly invented here in NY, but it called for an ingredient I'd never heard of before: maraschino. The recipe I found called for 2 tsp of maraschino, which I first thought referred to either maraschino cherries or the liquid they came in, which didn't sound too delicious. Further poking around on the internet turned up the fact that maraschino is a liqueur made from the fruit and pits of the Marasca cherry. Robert bought a bottle at ye olde Liquor Depot earlier in the week, and yesterday we made the Colony Cocktail.

Colony Cocktail

3 parts gin
1.5 parts grapefruit juice
2 tsp maraschino liqueur
Ice

Thoughts: Interesting. This cocktail has a very old-fashioned flavor to it, like nothing else I've ever tried. Robert and I both agreed that it would make an excellent brunch drink since it is very fresh and dry, with the unexpected maraschino twist. As we worked our way through our drink we liked it better and better.

Today we decided to try something else with the maraschino we'd bought, and mixed up something called either a Hemingway Cocktail or a Hemingway Daiquiri. There doesn't seem to be total agreement on anything with this one, other than that it contains grapefruit juice and light rum. Most recipes also include lime juice, and maraschino, and some contain sugar or simple syrup. Proportions vary widely. So Robert mixed us each up a drink containing light rum, grapefruit juice, lime juice, maraschino and simple syrup. Not surprisingly this tastes pretty similar to the Colony Cocktail, though it is sweeter and a little bit more layered, since it has lime juice as well. It's delicious. It has an almost sour-mix style flavor. I think that the Hemingway in my imagination would not have had simple syrup in this drink, so I might try it that way next time. Or I might just enjoy my lolly water.

No comments: