Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Keeping up

That's about what I've been doing lately. I'm still working on my dad's sweater vest and I'm kinda anxious about it since I don't know if he'll like the color, or if it will fit. It's coming out a bit bigger than I'd intended, but Robert says it's a little tighter than he'd like so hopefully it won't be huge?? Robert's chest is a few inches bigger than my dad's. I also made it too short so I need to rip back a row or two. Not a big deal, but more than I want to do at the moment!

A couple of days ago the kids and I were out weeding in the "garden" (right now its a strip of dirt on the south side of our house. In the summer we optimistically try to grow vegetables there. Its literally about 18" wide and 10 feet long. I'd much rather dig up a bunch of grass but as this isn't our house....) and we found a tiny salamander under a rock. He's about 3/4" long and black with red on his back. Turns out he's a Redbacked Salamander. Zion really wanted to keep him, so we set up our aquarium with dirt from the garden, and a rock and some dead leaves and moss and sticks. This afternoon we're heading to the pet store to buy him flightless fruit flies, one of the only bugs that will be small enough for him to eat. We've named him Newt, just for kicks.

In food news, I haven't baked in like 3 weeks! 3 weeks! I might go insane, but I'm making some kind of attempt at better health. I feel my resolve cracking however, and might make a banana caramel upside down cake tonight, if we pick up bananas while we are out. Yes, I know bananas are totally unlocal. But it's realllly good and frankly, I don't eat many bananas. In the dinner department I'm planning to cook up some Shredded Beef with Sweet Peppers from the ever-popular (at least at my house!) Land of Plenty cookbook. I lusted after it on my blog last summer and my badass brother got it for me for my birthday. Love love love it.

No comments: