Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cranberry Banana Bread

OK, enough with the sickness and worry and the whining! How about a nice, vaguely holiday themed recipe instead?

When I was a kid my mom made the most delicious cranberry banana bread. I have a photocopy of the recipe she used, which I think may have come from Sunset magazine. Yesterday I decided to adapt it, making it gluten and egg free. It could easily be dairy free too, though I did use some butter in mine.

The bread came out really, really well. It is in fact my most successful gluten free, egg free quick bread! It doesn't crumble at all and at nearly 24 hours old it is still moist and delicious.

See how pretty it is?

And maybe a little close up...

Om nom nom!!

Recipe

Makes one loaf, can be doubled.


Pre-heat oven to 350, and oil a bread pan.  Whisk together:

1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca starch
3/4 c sugar
1 tsp baking soda
3/8 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs worth of Ener-g egg replacer

In another bowl beat together

1 1/4 c mashed banana
5 T of melted butter OR oil of your choice or a combination (I used butter and sunflower seed oil)
1/4 c plain yogurt

Combine the wet and dry ingredients, then stir in 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries. Pour batter into a loaf pan and bake for 50-55 min.

Enjoy!



No comments: