Monday, February 2, 2009

I'm big in Japan

The title of this post is entry #2, which catches us up contest-wise (good thing I didn't forget the month for longer!).

I forgot to note that aside from today answers will need to be in before I post a new entry. I'll generally do this in the morning.

The Japan thing is really on my mind right now. Robert just had a paper accepted for a conference in Kobe in May. He's going to try to get funding from the college for his trip, and he asked me today if the kids and I wanted to come along and spend a week in Japan. The college will NOT pay for this (they probably won't even pay for R's entire trip; going to Japan is expensive).

The options, as I see them, are: 1. stay home with the kids 2. go to Japan with the kids 3. go to Japan without the kids. I'm not entirely satisfied with any of them, though for very different reasons. 1. isn't great because I love love love to travel and haven't been anywhere in ages. I'd be a little envious if Robert got to go to Japan without me. 2. isn't great because holy crap, it's expensive to fly 4 people to Japan! Plus I wonder how much the kids will really get out of such a trip. Is the money worth it? 3. isn't great because I don't want to be away from my kids for that long! And they only even have a babysitter maybe once a year, and have never spent a night away from both of us (actually, they've never spent a night away from me). I'm pretty sure Robert will veto this idea anyway, on the grounds that he isn't comfortable being so far away from our kids when they are so little.

What to do, what to do...

6 comments:

Val said...

Big in Japan is a Tom Waits song. Good luck on making the decision. A trip to Japan would be fabulous if you could swing it.

Melany said...

I believe I read something today that it is popular to use your blood type to predict your personality traits.

BirdEtt said...

I lose this one.

BirdEtt said...

Also, you should go without the kids - that seems like the most reasonable and realistic alternative. Just take a lot of pictures and show the kids the things that excited you and things that made you think of them so often during the trip upon your return. They'll still love you a lot and you won't regret not going.

the main stitch upholstery said...

paris hilton said that about her status when picking out a new bbf on her show.

Robert M Geraci said...

tom waits, "big in japan"