Tuesday, December 25, 2012

First Indian FO

This FO (finished object) was started and completed here in Bangalore. I'd had the yarn for ages, and I knew I wanted to use the two colors together, but couldn't quite figure out how. Then, shortly before I left New York, it hit me. The yarn wanted-- no needed-- to become nerd chic video game sweater! So I put the yarn in the "must bring" pile, and lugged it along across the oceans. Luckily for me, the fabulous lisseut on Ravelry had already charted out the Space Invaders aliens, so all I had to do was build a sweater around them. Colorwork (using two or more colors to create pictures in your knitting, for the non-knitters out there) is not my strong suit. I've only ever completed two colorwork projects before this, and they were both really small. I've learned a few tricks along the way for dealing with things like long floats, but it's slow going, and kind of hard on my brain. Which is really a longish way of saying: this project was challenging for me! Be impressed! I'm growing as a knitter!

So, without further ado, I present you with my latest creation. The pictures were taken by Robert, on our teeny little balcony :)



The colors in the close-up are not accurate, but you can see the cute little aliens a bit better in it :) I'd say our old skool inherited iPhone camera is performing pretty admirably, wouldn't you? Oh and I don't have a close-up of it, but can you see the dot matrix-y color transition on the sleeves??

So there you have it my first Indian FO. After I finished it I spent most of a day trying to decide what to knit next. Limited yarn supply = limited options! Eventually I settled on a shawl (I won't say more about it right now, so you can coo over it when it is done), and set about winding the yarn. I was pretty stressed when I started winding, but just winding the yarn, becoming absorbed by the beauty of the color and the feel of the wool in my hands, helped me to feel more peaceful. Of course, most of the credit has to go to Robert, who listened to me talk while I wound yarn, gave his own opinions, and was generally the best EVER (as usual), but still. Yarn has magical healing properties, I know it.

Finally, Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate, and a happy what would be 104th (ish) birthday to my great-grandfather!



No comments: