Friday, January 11, 2008

Mousakhan

Andrea asked for a picture of some of my meals, bless her heart! I love any excuse to show off food, lol. Unfortunately I didn't get her request until after we'd eaten tonight's dinner, but luckily I have taken pictures of mousakhan in the past (no, I'm not obsessed with food, why do you ask?), so here it is! Oh, sumac is a spice made of dried, ground up berries. It's commonly used in Middle Eastern cooking and has a delicious tangy flavor. Also very good sprinkled on rice!

Since I'm babbling rather than posting the damn picture I'll also add that, despite Becka's skepticism, my yogurt turned out quite well. Very delicious. Becka totally has friend tenure (we've been friends since we were a year old and she's really more like a cousin than a friend!), so she is allowed to critique my food adventures. Sometimes ;)

OK, really, mousakhan. Roast chicken with sumac and caramelized onions and walnuts and olive oil is put on top of fresh pita bread and broiled.

4 comments:

the main stitch upholstery said...

okay, that looks fabulous, sounds fabulous and i would totally eat it. i am glad your yougart turned out well, i was worried. i wish we lived closer so we could see eachother and have family dinners sometimes.

Melissa said...

Yum! That looks so good! I love that you post pics of your food! Thanks!

have you seen?: http://thepioneerwomancooks.com/

Melissa

Paige said...

I clicked through to you from Ravelry, and I'm so glad--also x-Californian (though not native) willingly exiled to the northeast, crazed cook, knitter, mom and so on. Possibly less hippie, but definitely hippie-friendly. I'll be reading and maybe I'll see you at Rhinebeck S & W ...

Andrea said...

Oh yummy!!!!! Thanks Jovi. Now I can picture it.