Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Applesauce

None of you seem to have taken me up on the jam making excursion, so how bout we try applesauce?

Applesauce made at home is quite different from the kinda the store. I like the store kind alright, but made at home? I can eat applesauce all damn day. It has a more satiny, unctuous body and an incredible honey finish...not just food for kids or invalids, I promise!

Here's what you do for every pound of apples:

Peel if you don't have a food mill or a potato ricer or like peels in your apple sauce
Core
Cut into biggish chunks
Put in pot with 1/4 c water (again, this is per pound of apples) and a spoonful of sugar
Cook over medium high heat with lid on, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender and falling apart- 12-15 minutes.
Smash the apples (this can be done in the pot if you peeled them, or in the food mill or ricer)

Done! You can add various flavorings if you like- a cinnamon stick or cloves or red hots while cooking, or ground spices afterwards.

This is so good that I've just reinspired myself. I'm off to make applesauce!

1 comment:

the main stitch upholstery said...

i love homemade applesauce! i also love apple butter which i make (used to anyway)more often. i don't have time to do anything these days............... work, work, work. run the kids to and fro.............