Monday, September 17, 2007

Planted Placenta

After Zion was born we planted his placenta with a tree on my parent's property. We were living there, he was born there, it was easy and natural.

After Liel was born we weren't sure what to do with her placenta, so we put it in a ziploc bag in the freezer. We considered planting it in my brother's backyard (since his house was a couple of blocks from where we were living and she was born), but just didn't feel right about it. Eventually we decided to send it home with my parents when they came out to visit, and they could plant it at their place, as with Zion's. They flew out about 2 months after Liel's birth and...we forgot to give them the placenta when they left.

So it stayed in our freezer.

Then my brother was headed out West, so we all decided that HE could take the placenta to my parent's place. We moved it to HIS freezer. And...he forgot to take it with him.

So it stayed in his freezer.

A few months later we headed out to my parent's along with my brother. And we forgot to take the placenta with us. Again.

Eight months later my mom came out here for a visit. We thought she could take the placenta (still in my brother's freezer!) home with her. But she forgot it.

In June my brother again travelled to my parent's home. By this time I'd nearly forgotten about the placenta- but not he! And he brought it!

Last night my parents called to tell me that they had planted Liel's placenta along with her tree. Let's do this ala MasterCard, shall we?

Time in my freezer: 6 months
Time in my brother's freezer: 14 months
Time in my parent's freezer: 2 months
Finally having Liel's placenta out of the d@#$ freezer and in the ground with her tree: Priceless :)

3 comments:

the main stitch upholstery said...

i can just imagine how popular that must have been in the freezer! what's this in the back of the freezer honey? did it not get freezer burn? congradulations on getting it a home.

Unknown said...

lmfao...that hilarious...stories of the traveling placenta.

Jo said...

Actually, in March, Kenn remembered, but at the last moment. So, it was still hard as a rock frozen, and we couldn't stuff it into a liquid proof container (concerned about it thawing over the 7 plus hours home to california).