Thursday, September 20, 2007

Buy your holiday gifts from meeeeeeee!

In yesterday's Daily Candy shoppers were alerted to the existence of the Pidge. Now I'm all for handmade items being appropriately valued- the few times I've knit things to be sold I've priced them so that I get paid $1-2 an hour, because otherwise the cost of handknits can really skyrocket (example: my Tree Jacket used approx. $20 of yarn (and this figure is very low, most sweaters use more like $30-40 of yarn) and took me approx. 30 hours to knit. If I were to sell one I'd charge $20 for yarn (if the same yarn were used) and $2/hour for me = $80. At $6/hour it goes up $200, etc. etc.), and since I've sold them to friends I haven't been trying to make much profit- just get more yarn money!

So, um, if you are tempted to buy hand knit items, might I suggest that you Support Your Local Knitter (even if that isn't me, lol)?

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Hey were is the link to your wicked cool Etsy shop>

Unknown said...

YIKES, I just chocked on my crackers. WOW, that is an expensive LITTLE scarf. Not taking away from the quality, time making etc.

the main stitch upholstery said...

holy moly, but i can relate. it is impossible to charge for your time and still make something affordable. i could never charge for my clothing what i had into it while i was doing that. upholstery is better, but still run into that quite often. i would pay you to make things. you are incredible. there is a market out there to sell your things to, breaking into it is the hard part. what is your toy website? i never got to see that.

Jo said...

I think you are charging WAY too little. But, to get stared maybe that is necessary.
I am looking forward to seeing your work in person!