Thursday, September 20, 2007

But I'm not sure how it got there...

Yesterday evening I was cooking dinner in the kitchen and the kids were playing in the living room. Suddenly Liel started crying. My finely tuned mama ear could tell that it was an anger and frustration cry and not an emergency so I called out, "Zion? What happened? Why is Liel crying?"

There was a pause and then Zion said, "Oh, she is crying because she fell over".

"Did she fall over because you pushed her?", I asked shrewdly.

"Well, I pushed her but it was an accident and I am sorry", he said. He sounded relatively sincere, too. He doesn't quite understand the term "accident" yet, and tends to use it to indicate that he lost control and lashed out in frustration, even though he knew it was not appropriate behavior. Super ego letting Id slip momentarily from it's control and all. Which, all things considered, really is some kind of acciddent, if not exactly of the pushing kind.

1 comment:

the main stitch upholstery said...

i too regularly experience these types of "accidents". they usually involve i am sorry at the beginning of the explanation. i also like all fault being placed on the injured party. good luck with this stopping. they only do it behind my back now............ i don't think that is good though!