Saturday, September 22, 2007

Breaking the fast

No, I haven't done it yet ;) But I'm planning, and after this post I'm going to start cooking. Here's what will be on our menu:
beef stew
mashed potatoes
honey cake
The beef stew and mashed potatoes will be courtesy of our CSA veggies (and Alan The Meat Man, of course!). I was going to make a pear crisp (hello CSA again!) but Zion voted for honey cake, and since I misplaced my recipe and didn't make one for Rosh Hashanah this year I was pleased, cause what're the High Holidays with no honey cake?? And my recipe is teh awesome, if I do say so myself.

Oh, you'd like my honey cake recipe? Well, if you insist!
2 1/2 c flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt, baking soda, cinnamon, lemon peel
1 t cardamom
1 c honey
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c apple sauce
3/8c oil
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
3/4 c black tea
slug of rum

baked @350 in 10" springform pan
(I use egg replacer instead of eggs, of course. And this year I'm going to replace the applesauce with delicata squash, cause we have some cooked and sitting in the fridge.)

2 comments:

the main stitch upholstery said...

do you steep the tea or put in the leaves dry? is it just for flavor? i need to try this recipe

Robert M Geraci said...

blogging on the high holidays, my love?