Friday, July 13, 2007

The Goods

Here's what came to our CSA yesterday: lettuce, zucchini, parsely, kohlarhabi, spring onions, napa cabbage, daikon, and (wait for it!) 8 cucumbers. Last night I turned 3 of them into a quicky salad with beets and dill. We had an overabundance of cucumbers this time last year, too. I'm thinkin' that Hawthorne Valley needs to plant fewer cucumbers next year, you know? And more...I dunno, dinosaur kale. Or red russian kale. Or carrots. Options with cucumbers are just pretty damn limited!

Robert worked one of our two mandatory volunteer shifts yesterday and reported that his main job was to confirm the bad news printed on the sign: No Fruit This Week. Disappointed CSA members apparently thought (and even hoped!) that the sign was joke, or that Robert had secretly taken ALL the fruit shares, but that if, upon reading the sign, they turned to him, disbelieving, and said "No fruit this week?" he would cough up their portion. Ah well. The rumor mill says there may be blueberries next week.

I had the best blueberries of my life one summer about 9 years ago. My mom asked Kenny and I to pick up her Mountain People's Warehouse order from it's delivery point while she and Dad were at work. We did so, and were delighted to discover a flat of blueberries among our new charges. We popped a few in our mouths as we loaded the van. Oh man. They were unlike any blueberry before or since- truly the form of blueberry. We ate a pint on the 10 minute drive home. Maybe two. The only thing that restrained us from eating the entire flat was our still-crisp memory of The Main Family Fruit Platter Incident of 1983. The Hawthorne Valley Farm blueberries are good, but being food for mere mortals, they cannot measure up.

2 comments:

Jo said...

Jovi, I DO LOVE your writing! YOUR mom ket me read some of your blogs, AND i think they're GREAT ...maybe you can write a book about your experiences as a Mother of 2 who cooks, knits, and plays with her young. IKNOW HOW MUCH I'D HAVE APPRECIATED SUCH A BOOK WHEN KAP & KRIS WERE YOUNG. JUST A THOUGHT. (IGNORE AT YOUR PERIL!!)

K Young said...

Hah. While I remember The Blueberry Incident vividly (and the pints that ensued) (and my sadness at finishing the last pint), I'd almost successfully blocked out The Fruit Platter Incident. Thank you so much for bringing up such a painful memory.