Thursday, July 12, 2007

The only starfish in the sea

Ever since I posted about lacrosse balls (or our the lack thereof) yesterday I've had the song "Red Rubber Ball" stuck in my head. My only real exposure to this song came from a Saturday Night Live skit from 1984, when I was 8 years old. I wasn't actually allowed to stay up late enough to watch SNL at age 8 (in fact, I believe my bedtime was approx. 830pm), but someone in my family had recorded one episode of SNL on a VHS tape, and we all watched it many times. Either that or it made a really big impression on me, cause I can still vividly recall many of the skits from this episode.

Jesse Jackson was the host, and in one skit he and a cast member playing Sammy Davis, Jr. are discussing Jackson's nerves about hosting SNL. A sing along is suggested, and Jesse Jackson says he'd like to sing "Red Rubber Ball", by "The Cyrkle" (or, as I understood it at age 8, "Red Rubber Ball By The Circle"), and they do. Not that exciting, really (the New York Times actually found it pretty awful), but it's stuck in my mind 23 years later. I hate that!

Last night's zucchini bread turned out great, though I think I might leave out the cinnamon in the loaf next time. Maybe cardamom. I love cardamom.

It's lovely and cool today (well, relatively speaking...) so I think I'll do some cooking that I've been unwilling to do in the Hot Days. Beets to be roasted and all.

Zion wants to go play lacrosse, so I'm sure we'll spend lots of time outside. He slept with his stick last night, which Robert and I both found hilarious and adorable- a sign of things to come?

No comments: