Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Vegan Ice Cream 1.0

I've seen some recipes on the web for vegan ice creams that use tofu as their base. I was intrigued. So tonight I made my own tofu ice cream. Here's what I used:
3/4's of a 19oz package of firm tofu (the refridgerated kind, Trader Joe's didn't have tetrapak and I was too lazy to look elsewhere)
1/2 cup sugar
1 15 oz can apricots, drained
1 c soy milk

I blended all this up in the Cuisinart for a good while and then added a touch of lemon juice and put it in my ice cream maker. The result is pretty alright, but I think next time I'll use more fruit (possibly as much as 2x's as much, at least for something mild like apricots), a bit more sugar, and get some Mori-nu or something. I think the style has potential! Liel ate all of hers and demanded more. Zion didn't eat all of his, but claimed to like it (he often doesn't finish his desserts, so probably true). Robert announced that he found it gritty (damn that lack of silken tofu!) when he tasted it while it was freezing, but still ate all of Zion's leftovers (they appear to be opposites: one will eat a sweet he likes only until he is satisfied, the other will eat a sweet he doesn't particularly care for until it is gone or he is queasy from so much sugar, whichever comes first).

2 comments:

K Young said...

Sounds strange with firm tofu. Last night *I* made... well, let me tell you a story. First it was going to be raw Amish whipped cream (from straight cream). But then I wasn't satisfied that it was -big enough- so I let the KitchenAid run another 20 seconds or so. Then it turned yellow and clumpy. So I stopped it and cocked my head at the mixing bowl. It looked like creamy butter. A cautious finger confirmed that it tasted that way, too. I'd made European creamy butter! Not satisfied (I'm American and wanted American butter), I started the whippage again. When I stopped it 10 seconds later, it was... like yellow fatty, wet-drippy... cottage cheese -- but not in a good way. Think butter meets cottage cheese meets cold brown rice meets sink water. Having little (to no) choice, I started in a-whippin' once more. And, after about 30 seconds, a bunch of water separated, and started splattering me. Guess what? I made butter! It was good! I ate it on my mashed potatoes for lunch today. And it behaved like butter in the way it tasted and melted.

Jovi said...

cool! if you have any left this weekend i wanna try it.

and if *i* have any left i might bring you some of my strange ice cream...