Sunday, October 14, 2007

Here kitty, kitty...


Last night I made a pair of fly cat ears for Liel's halloween costume. This morning it turned out they were a bit big for her. Luckily Zion had already started coveting them, so I gave them to him and made Liel a new pair (well, almost. I just need to make some icord for the strings). Zion informed me that he was a smashed face cat (like Ajax), which perhaps explains the surly expression on his face. He was happy tho, I assure you. He even napped in the cat ears.

Further updates in the world of home alcohal making! I now have 2 750ml bottles of mead going on the counter. I moved the second batch out of the applesauce jar today, and a good thing, too. the lid was super tight, and I belatedly realized that without a way of releasing the pressure the glass jar could have exploded. Good thing we dodged that bullet! Zion got to help with the exciting task of releasing the carbon dioxide that had built up in the balloon over the past 24 hours. He was mostly excited to remove the balloon and see it deflate, but I was enthralled by the carbonation bubbles! It was just like in commercial soda, man! Carbonation bubbles moving up through the mead. I sat and watched it for a couple minutes and then something really extra cool happened- the carbonation caused the heavier, older layer (the honey/pear ferment) on the bottom to rise up and mix with the lighter, newer (honey water) layer on top!

Science is sooooo cool. Too bad it more or less sucked the way it was taught to me in school. I might've been more interested if it were more hands on! That, or if it had had a potentially tasty result.

1 comment:

Jo said...

I read everything since I left for NY some 3 weeks ago. Enjoyed it all.
The cat ears are darling!!
I am commissioning you to knit me a short sleeve sweater, and I would like you to love the yarn so please send me the specifics.
You are awesome.