Monday, October 1, 2007

Times have changed

Today, my friend Lisa asked for opinions on a maternity dress she's thinking of wearing to a wedding in a few weeks. She linked, we all checked it out, and since she has good taste, approved.

This kind of virtual shopping with far-flung friends isn't particularly unusual or new. But I did a lot of driving today, and as I drove I was reminded of shopping for undies at Victoria's Secret online with Ysette on the phone in NY. It was the first year of my PhD program. Robert and I had been dating for a few months, at most. I didn't even have a desk set up in my apartment yet and was sitting on the floor in my study with my new iMac. Underwear are important like that.

See, I *used* to internet shop with friends for underwear and lingerie. Now we internet shop for maternity dresses that are appropriate wedding wear. I don't mind the change, but I'm damn confused about how it snuck up on me like that. Bing! You have new boyfriend and you're shopping for lingerie! Bing! You have husband, 2 kids, and your giving advice on maternity dresses. Frankly, I'm a little scared of what the next "bing" with be. Girdles? High waisted, tapered legged jeans (or worse yet- slacks! Oh, I know, high waists and tapered legs will come back, and who'll be laughing then? Not me. I did my time.)? Holiday themed sweaters?

Devon reports that one of her high school students last year gave her the reassuring news that she doesn't look THAT old. Pete tells me that in the span of 3 days his students told him that: 1. it would be cool if he got jacked, 2. he reminded them of one of the "Average Joe" guys in Dodgeball and 3. he reminded them of, you know, that guy who plays the Green Goblin in Spiderman (aka Willam Dafoe). Devon and Pete are both 31.

Bring on the girdles, baby!

2 comments:

Cookie's Mommy said...

lmao, here is sweater i saw and thought of you!
http://cgi.ebay.com/MARISA-CHRISTINA-LADIES-HOLIDAY-CARTIGAN-SWEATER-SZ-M_W0QQitemZ300156893171QQihZ020QQcategoryZ63866QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

j/k, it's not jewish enough, but it sure is nice!! lol

the main stitch upholstery said...

i frequently get told that i am 40. it is a great feeling. i could go on the 10 years younger show and barely make my real age. apparently having 3 kids early and adding more in now are aging me. i, at least, feel that i should blame it on the children. it would be quite sad to think that i just have old-looking genes.