Sunday, October 7, 2007

Illness

Liel woke up crying at about 1030pm last night, and proceeded to throw up all over her floor as I held her (hey, better than in her bed!). She was burning hot, and tho she didn't throw up any more, she woke up a few more times from being hot and thirsty. Today she clearly didn't feel well and there was much wailing and clinging to mama. In fact, I spent most of my day holding her in my arms or on my lap. It was kind of nice, except for the fact that she didn't feel great. And despite her repeated claims that she wanted pie, she didn't feel well enough to allow me to make it. We did get the crust done (with help from Robert and Zion), and it's waiting in the fridge now.

In topics hopfully unrelated to illness: I've started two fermentation experiments in the kitchen. One is a kimchi recipe that I modified from the kraut maker at Hawthorne Valley Farms. I made this last year and didn't really like it, but Kenny did (or at least claimed to), so I'm counting on him to take this off my hands if it's still not my speed.

The other is a (theorhetically) wild fermented fruit mead. Apparently fruits, herbs, and flowers tend to have wild strains of yeast on them, so if you mix some in with the honey water base for mead you can get fermentation going without fancy starters or, well, anything else. Remember those little, unyummy pears? Yeah. I chopped up 4 or 5 of those suckers and tossed 'em in the honey water yesterday. Here's to hoping they have wild yeast on them...

No comments: