Saturday, October 13, 2007

Live to tell

We tried the mead today! The pears had become little more than pear skins floating in a cider colored, slightly thick liquid. It still smelled fine- like honey, and pears, and booze. So I strained out the solids and called Robert over to see. Once he was there I quickly insisted that he be the first to taste the stuff. I wish I could fabricate some righteous motive for this, but I'm afraid the cold, hard truth is just that I wanted someone else to tell me if it was really gross so that I could avoid drinking yuck.

Luckily, Robert is both kind and tolerant and he grabbed a cup and dipped it into the bowlful of strained mead. He reported it to be "fine" or "alright" or something that was definatly not bad, but not quite delicious, either. So I took the plunge and tried it myself. Robert was pretty much dead on- the stuff was fine. Sweet, pear-ish, yeasty, and somewhat alcoholic.

I'm hoping we can do better, tho, so I bottled it up in an empty wine bottle with more 4:1 water/honey solution. I filled a 750ml bottle and had leftovers, so I put those into an empty applesauce jar with the honey water. I'm afraid the seal from the lid on that jar isn't properly airtight, but Robert assures me we'll have another empy wine bottle I can use by the end of the day. Takin' one for the team ;)

No comments: