Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Grapefruit and Cardamom Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry sauce is a great make-ahead Thanksgiving dish in my world, cause it doesn't need to be reheated. Somehow reheated dishes are never quite as good, you know? So this afternoon I made cranberry sauce for tomorrow. I figured I'd make some kind of orange-cranberry sauce, probably with ginger. A quick look around the kitchen changed my mind, however, since I didn't have oranges in any form (including juice), nor did I have powdered ginger. Hmm, just realized I do have fresh ginger...oh well! I made a yummy cranberry sauce with grapefruit and cardamom (and also candied ginger, shhh don't tell Robert!), and here's the recipe.

Cranberry Sauce with Grapefruit and Cardamom

approx 1 lb fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cardamom
2/3 tsp grapefruit zest
1 1/4 c water
1/4 c candied ginger, chopped fine

Put everything but the ginger in a pot and cook it over medium high heat (or high if you're really impatient, as I am) until the cranberries pop and get all nice and soft. Stir in the ginger. Yum!

This does make a slightly tart cranberry sauce, but another beautiful thing about cranberry sauce is that you can adapt it however you want, so feel free to add more or less sugar to taste.

3 comments:

the main stitch upholstery said...

i didn't realize that anybody eats cranberry sauce anymore. my favorite part is bread........

Robert M Geraci said...

i already saw the poison added to the cranberry sauce. there would have been no use hiding it.

and one of our friends, becca, still waxes eloquent about the canned cranberry and the desirability of the end "slice," which has the impression of the bottom of the can on it. what's amazing is that people still eat _that_ stuff!

Jo said...

If I hadn't already made mine, I'd try it. Mine has grapefruit, honey and candied ginger. It's good, but... yours sounds better.