Thursday, August 2, 2007

Disaster averted

There I was, making my Birthday Pie and talking to my mom. I mixed the sugar and cornstarch with a little salt and cinnamon and tossed the cherries in it. The mixture looked a little grayish. I tasted one of the cherries to see if I needed more sugar and OMG BLECH. BLECH! Awful, awful bitter saltiness. I had no idea what had happened, but dumped the cherries into a colander to rinse them off. Had to rinse them a good while to get rid of all the off salty flavors. As I poured new sugar and cornstarch into the bowl it hit me: I had put baking soda into the mixture instead of cornstarch. They sit on the same shelf, see.

So the moral of the story, kids: taste the food you are cooking! You never know when it might save your Birthday Pie.

Also, a belated welcome to the world to the Wu-ling! I believe he shares the auspicious birthday of one Harry James Potter. We can't wait to meet him in person!

1 comment:

Jo said...

Jovi, What pray tell is 'frogging'? Also, who is Wu-ling??
Your knitting is gorgeous!
HAPPY PIE EATING TO YOU!(To be sung to the tune of Happy Birthday to you.) Glad you saved your pie.
Lotsa,lotsa
me