Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Tomatoes are coming!

Last week we got the first of the summer tomatoes in our CSA. Yesterday, our neighbor came by with a 1 gallon ziploc bag full of baby roma tomatoes and a smaller ziploc of cherry tomatoes. A client had given him an excessively generous amount and he was sharing the bounty. Today Zion spotted some ripe cherry tomatoes on our volunteer tomato plants (seeded from last year's squirrel-fest), and a couple of small Brandywines, too. And- oh!- we got more tomatoes in our CSA share today. Zion ate the cherry tomatoes from our garden standing right next to the plant (the very best way to eat tomatoes, really. So fresh!), and Liel carried one of the bigger ones around, tucked under her arm, for an hour before nap time. Sometimes she would set it down and forget where she put it and then look around demanding, "May-toe? May-toe? Where my may-toe go? Want it, mama! Want may-toe!"

Yesterday afternoon Robert cheerfully noted that we had, at least, vanquished our cucumber supply. I brought him back to reality by showing him the 4 cucumbers still nestled in the crisper drawer. And what else did we get in our CSA share today, aside from tomatoes, you ask? Well:

-5 cucumbers (Though we did eat the remainders from last week for dinner last night in a Hungarian cucumber salad. Remember when I said that every cuisine has a cucumber salad? This summer I'm trying them all.)
-leeks
-4 lbs of potatoes
-basil
-beets
-summer squash
-lettuce
-dandelion greens
-green beans
-bell peppers
-blueberries
-nectarines

I love summer on the farm!

2 comments:

Jo said...

So, I read all the blogs I have missed over the week. I commented on the one where you wax eloquent about Alan's meats.
I love the sweaters.
The neck warmer for Andrea looks beautiful.
My gratitude to Robert for being so support and loving to you.(I am thinking of balling your yarn, here.)
Every time I see the photo of Ajax, I chuckle!!

Andrea said...

Cucumbers, we love cucumbers and we eat 3-4 at a time, peeled, cut in circles with some lemon, salt and chili powder or Tapatio. It's a good snack, and those cucumbers are gone lickity quick! Or Cucumber sandwiches..