Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I am grumpy, hear me sulk!

Today was not. my. knitting. day. After I frogged the Saartje booties I started another project. After two hours I had to frog that, too. It's a semi-complicated eyelet pattern, and a mistake I made in row 3 made it all suck. And now I'm feeling grumpy and can't seem to quite shake it off. Grumble. Grumble. *kicks at imaginary curb*

Maybe I'll go wash my hair and think Scarlett O'Hara-ish thoughts: "Tomorrow is another day! With pie!" (OK, I added the pie bit in myself.)

While I think of it, allow me to quickly expound on the joy and importance of making your own pie crust. People, it is easy. And so delicious! And everyone will be impressed and there will be much squealage over how amazing and talented you are. No store bought pre-packaged crust can ever compare! Never. So don't buy them (or, G-d forbid, use them), just don't. Instead, here's my very own recipe for you to use! It's all approximate, it'll work out. I'm a firm believer in the Como Agua para Chocolate school of cooking: all you need is love.

2 cups flour
big spoon of sugar
small amount of salt
2-3 big spoons of coconut oil
6-7 tablespoons of unsalted butter.
water

Mix the flour and the sugar and the salt together. I use my hands for everything in this recipe except measuring the flour and fats and rolling the dough. Mix in the fats until you have a kind of coarse meal looking mixture. It's fine to have some big bits of un-mixed in fat, it doesn't have to be uniform. Small bits of fat make the crust tender and the big bits create air pockets as they melt, making the crust flakey. Then add water, a bit at a time (I mix with one hand an pour with the other) until you have a nice ball of dough. It shouldn't be too sticky, just enough to hold together. I usually stick it in the fridge while I make the filling, and then roll it out. Brush the top crust with a little water and sprinkle with sugar.

Actually, I do feel better now! Pie IS the wonder drug we've all been waiting for! And it was right here all along.

No comments: