Monday, August 13, 2007

Don't upset the pregnant woman

As I've mentioned, my neighbor is pregnant, due with #2 at the end of the month. On Saturday our kids were playing together in the yard and our talk turned to sleep, that holy grail (and fickle mistress) of all parents. She was hoping that the new baby would sleep lots, and soon. She said that Will hadn't been a great sleeper and it had taken him a while to start sleeping through the night. When, she asked, had my kids started sleeping all night?

"Well," I said, "I'm probably the wrong person to ask, because Liel just started sleeping reliably all night when we got back from Pittsburgh 5 weeks ago".

Her eyes widened in horror. "But," I said quickly, trying to make amends, "she slept better than Zion cause he woke up all the time- every hour til he was about 8 months old. Of course, he slept all night starting around a year, but she was only waking up once a night from the time she was like 18 months or so".

Somehow, she didn't seem to find that comforting.

The thing is, when Zion was waking up every hour I was desperate for him to sleep longer. I obsessed over sleep tricks and why every other child on planet earth slept longer stretches than my little boy. I was exhausted. But honestly, once Liel was only waking twice a night (around a year old), her nightwakings ceased to bother me. Since she was never waking up every hour anyway they never bothered me as much as Zion's had (though I won't lie to you, they did kinda suck when they were every few hours when she was 6 months old...), and once a night just wasn't a problem for me. It was even kind of nice to have a little nighttime snuggle.

Ommmmmmmm.

No comments: