Monday, August 20, 2007

Vegan Kheer

While I was basking in my knitting glory I almost forgot to brag about my cooking triumph!
...Er, what I meant to say was, I modestly hesitated to mention my dessert creation on the same day as I posted pictures of my knitting. Yeah!

I'm not vegan, but I figure that reducing the amount of animal products in our diet is good for everyone. However, I'm enough of a hedonist that I won't bother cooking and eating a vegan dessert unless its actually delicious, cause hey, there's fresh fruit, right? Vegan as it comes and so much better than most "healthy" desserts. But some vegan desserts can rock, and last night we had our neighbors to dinner and I created this tasty little number.

Saffron Coconut Kheer

3 1/2 cups soy milk
1/2 cup basmati rice
1/4 tsp saffron threads
1/2-3/4 cup sugar (could use stevia, probably. worth a try.)
1/2 can coconut milk (full fat. could use coconut cream, too, tho reduce the sugar if it's sweetened as is often the case)

Combine soy milk, saffron and rice in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed. This will take about 20 minutes, but its not as boring or tedious as it sounds. When you have a nice, thick, gloppy rice mixture remove from heat and stir in the sugar. When it tastes sweet enough add the coconut milk and stir well. Cool to desired temperature and serve.

No comments: