Monday, August 13, 2007

I don't understand fit!

Last night I got to the point on the Tree Jacket where the sleeves are seperated from the body and the sweater can be tried on. And it was TOO BIG. So I frogged like 3 hours worth of knitting, and made a big, tangley pile of yarn in the process. Given my day yesterday unknotting the yarn from my pulled out sweater would have been more than I could handle. Luckily for me I have a sweet, wonderful husband who patiently untangled and balled my yarn while I went and took a shower. Then I picked up my stitches, knitted a row, re-seperated the sleeves and tried the sweater on again. It seems to fit now, so I went to bed somewhat more relaxed.

This latest fitting fiasco has really got me wondering about something I've been puzzled by for a while now. I don't understand fitting and sizing! I was knitting a size M sweater, to fit a chest size 36-39". I measure 38.5" with a very snug measuring tape, 39" with it a bit looser. And the M was huge, so I'm knitting a S. And I'm not small! And the sweater still won't be tight, as there's still a good deal of ease. Based on the pattern pictures I think it will now fit me the way it fits the model- in other words, the way I assume it is meant to fit. The last sweater I made I was aiming to make my chest size, but my gauge was off and I made a size smaller and it fits just fine, too. So confused.

No comments: